I tore the remaining carpet out of the front of the van yesterday, so she's now completely bare inside. Unfortunately, doing so yielded the discovery of some pretty nasty rust in both front door thresholds and around the gas pedal. I had previously been amazed by how rust-free this 25 year old van seemed to be, so I suppose a few problem spots were to be expected.
Q's copious power tool collection came to the rescue, and following an afternoon spent grinding away at the unsightly brown stuff, I managed to wake the bare metal underneath from hibernation.
That's the gas pedal area post-grinding. In the case of the door thresholds, quite a bit of daylight was poking through by the time I had removed all the rust, so I'll be pausing to learn all about body fillers and how to repair rust holes in the next day or so. All part of the adventure.
On the upside, now that I've completely exposed the van's interior from head to toe, I am reasonably confident that all rust issues have been found (fingers crossed). On the interior, that is. The body's exterior has a few minor rust issues that I'll be dealing with at some point, but they can wait until the interior is more or less finished.